Monday

Cloud Atlas - Thoughts

Besides our really cool and exciting Bond event last month I did not go to the movies a lot lately.
Nevertheless yesterday was movie Sunday and I watched Cloud Atlas  together with a friend.

It was HUGE.
Yes, a movie can be huge. Overwhelmingly huge. Next to the fact that it took 2 and 1/2 hours it was having multiple story strings with constant switching, mixing up past present and future, different settings in more than one world (yes, really) together with a lot of special effects. 

Cloud Atlas which was starred by some  major characters of the scene. Talking -- Tom Hanks, Halle Barry, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant was an independent movie and the most expensive one of its kind.

What I found remarkable was that there was not so much talking going on in the film; the focus was more on the actions itself. Focussing on impacts, peoples' lives have on one another, but also on one self. Confusing?
Yes, definitely!

This movie is a candidate for a second (and third etc) watch and most probably we will find something "new" every time we re-watch it. I assume that I also will learn to love it the more times I eventually watch it. 

After all I went out of the movie - confused, convinces that it was not quite my cup of tea, but almost 24 hours later, I have to admit, that its got something. In a few days I might even like it ;-)

I would definitely recommend a small "read-into-it" before, to be prepared, kind of. And still, it is the kind of movie which requires one to be "there" at all time. Through its rapid scene switches it is constantly challenging the audience to think with it - not only by looking at the pictures but also by its words of wisdom....

Anyone seen this movie? What are your thoughts? Did you like it?Why? Why not? I'd love to hear from you!!

Have a fab week!

Love,
Svenja
xx

PS: I loved that line: "A half finished book is like a half finished love affair...."

No comments:

Post a Comment