Saturday

Literary adventures - Jane Eyre

Sometimes it is absolutely wonderful to get out a beloved book and only read the happy moments, fragments which are special, or rhetorical masterpieces, witty things, emotional parts or utterly clever thoughts.
This time it was Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. This last chapter and especially the following fragment wows me again and again; here it comes:

(...)"I know what it is to live entirely for and with what I love best on earth. I hold myself supremely blest--blest beyond what language can express; because I am my husband's life as fully is he is mine. No woman was ever nearer to her mate than I am: ever more absolutely bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh. I know no weariness of my Edward's society: he knows none of mine, any more than we each do of the pulsation of the heart that beats in our separate bosoms; consequently, we are ever together. To be together is for us to be at once as free as in solitude, as gay as in company. We talk, I believe, all day long: to talk to each other is but a more animated and an audible thinking. All my confidence is bestowed on him, all his confidence is devoted to me; we are precisely suited in character--perfect concord is the result."(...)

***

Happy weekend!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment